Dress Code Policy
Kohala Middle School Dress Code Policy
(Passed by the KMS School Community Council 04/2006, amended 02/2013, revised 08/2014, revised 05/2019)
Appropriate School Appearance & Dress Code Guidelines
It is important that all students dress appropriately at school and school events.
- Head is uncovered when a student is indoors (classroom, cafeteria, library, or office).
- Clothing or apparel does not promote, suggest, or display a picture of alcohol, drugs, profanity, violence, or items of a sexual or suggestive nature.
- Shirts or tops have backs, cover cleavage, have straps that fully cover undergarments and are long enough to cover the midriff. Strapless tops are unacceptable.
- Shorts and skirt hems must be mid-thigh or longer.
- Shoe heel height is to be 2 inches or less. Close toed shoes are encouraged on PE days and on ALL field trips.
- Sneakers/basketball/appropriate shoes are required when using the basketball court (NO SLIPPERS).
- Ripped jeans will be allowed as long as tears are below the mid-thigh.
- Leggings and jeggings allowed and can be worn as a complement to a skirt, shorts or long top. Leggings and jeggings ARE NOT allowed as an independent piece of clothing.
- Razorback tops will be allowed as long as no cleavage or undergarments are visible (proper undergarments to include bandeaus, strapless bras, tank tops).
- Other dress code violations may be defined at the discretion of the Principal.
- Dress code violations will be addressed in private in a way that doesn't take away from academic time or shame students. Ideally this would occur during the homeroom/early school hours.
- The parents shall be called every time there is a dress code infraction to inform them that their child broke the dress code and can't wear that particular outfit to school.
- All efforts to be made to be consistent and fair and avoid shaming of students.
If a student violates the dress code, the school will provide suitable attire or parents may be called to bring in suitable clothing. Extraneous items (i.e. inappropriate dress items) will be kept in the office and may be picked up after dismissal in the school office.