Absentee/Attendance Policy and Procedures
302A-1131, Public schools: attendance, Hawaii Revised Statues (HRS), requires a child who is six years of age and not yet eighteen on January, of any school year to attend either a public or private school unless properly excused from school. Attendance is a vital part of the education process and necessary for participation in a class. Therefore, students are expected to be in school and on time. The students continued participation in the class is required in order to calculate the academic grade and attendance for the quarter/semester/year. Parents should plan doctor, dentist and other appointments during non-school day or after school hours. Family vacations should be planned during regular school vacation times.
School hours are from 8:00 AM - 2:15 PM Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday
Wednesdays are 8:00 AM - 1:15 PM
Guidelines for parents/caregivers if a child must be absent:
- PHONE CALL Call the school at 889-7119 before 8:00 AM each day your child is out from school. You may request missed work at this time. A written note by the parent/guardian explaining the absence is required upon return to school.
- ILLNESS All absences are excused if a doctor’s note is provided. If your child is out for 5 or more days, a doctor’s note is mandatory.
- MAKE-UP WORK Parents who request make-up work for their child can pick it up at the school office at 3:00 PM. It is the student’s responsibility to check with teachers about any missed assignments. All class work should be made up as promptly as possible.
- EARLY RELEASE Any student who leaves school before 11:00 AM and who will not return to school that day will be marked as absent. If a student arrives to school before 11:00 AM, they need to go the office to pick up a tardy slip and they will be marked tardy.
- TARDINESS A student arriving after 8:05 AM or after the beginning time of any class period is tardy. For a student to enter his/her class they will need to report to the office for a tardy or admit slip.
- SPECIAL EXEMPTIONS Special exemptions for student absences may be granted under the following conditions:
- Parent/guardian submits in writing 2 weeks prior to the absence:
- The reason for the absences.
- The number of days that the student will be absent and
- Academic Plan, which will need to be discussed with and approved by the student’s teachers.
- These plans are the responsibility of the student and parent/guardian and the student may receive a failing grade if the goals of the Plan are not met.
In the event that a child has been absent for four (4) unexcused school days/class periods, the attendance officer shall give a verbal reminder to the student’s parent(s)/guardian(s) of the attendance policy and document the contact.
After seven (7) unexcused absences, the attendance officer contacts the parent(s)/guardian(s) for a conference with the administrator and the attendance officer documents the scheduled conference date.
- At the conference, parent(s)/guardian(s) will receive a letter with an explanation of a possible court referral and the attendance officer documents the conference including the parent(s)/guardian(s) response in regards to the attendance issue.
- If parent(s)/guardian(s) do not attend the conference, a certified letter (return receipt requested) with an explanation of a possible court referral is sent.
If unexcused absences continue, the Court Petition is filed by the attendance officer for non-attendance.